In winter, the sun sets earlier, which is why you spend less time outside and are more active indoors. You often have the urge to eat more products that contain starch and sugar.
The hibernation instinct can affect health. The immune system is weakened by all these conditions and you are more prone to colds and flu during the winter. Thus, if you are working in professional snow removal for Oakville (https://snowheroes.ca/snow-removal/oakville/), you should keep your energy levels high. Because of your work, you must have your immune system strong and your body healthy throughout the cold season.
Consume healthy liquids
Drinks with sugar and those containing caffeine can suppress the function of the immune system, and promote weight gain, and even dehydration. Drink 6-8 glasses of water or herbal tea a day to keep your digestive system healthy, not gain weight, and feel energetic. This is very important during the winter, as it contributes to the optimal functioning of the circulatory system. Green and white tea are good options, due to the fairly high content of antioxidants that keep you healthy throughout the season.
Garlic contains sulfides, which help to increase the potency of two of the most important cells of the immune system: T lymphocytes and macrophage cells that fight against colds. Consume raw or cooked garlic to develop the immune system.
Consume foods rich in zinc daily
Zinc helps prevent the weakening of the immune system. Give your body what it needs daily by eating oysters, liver, lean red meat, turkey, pork, lamb, lentils, pumpkin, sesame seeds, beans, and yogurt.
Here are some tips to eat healthy
- Make sure you have enough vitamin D that you can assimilate from the sun and after consuming dairy products preferably non-fat ones. Young people and the elderly suffer from vitamin D deficiencies during the winter, because the sun is not strong enough for the body to synthesize the vitamin.
- Prefer small portions of food. Take several such meals in a day.
- Drink lots of liquids. The body needs water, even if you are not thirsty.
- Try to drink as little coffee and alcohol as possible. Consume salmon and other types of fatty fish instead. Use olive oil for food. In the morning, eat oatmeal and avocado.
- It would be preferable to eat warm vegetable soups instead of steaks.
Get enough sleep
Rest and sleep are some of the most effective methods of re-energizing after a stressful day. Make sure that you will sleep in a dark room so that the body secretes melatonin, which helps to strengthen the immune system.