As the heart of the home, the kitchen is where families gather to cook, eat, and spend time together. However, many homeowners don’t realize that their cabinetry choices can have a significant impact on their health and well-being. Unhealthy materials like formaldehyde, VOCs, and other toxins can be present in some cabinetry materials, leading to a host of health issues. By choosing healthy cabinetry options, homeowners can transform their kitchen into a healthier and more enjoyable space for their families.
Healthy Cabinetry Options
When it comes to healthy cabinetry, there are several options available. Here are some of the most popular choices:
- Solid Wood: Solid wood cabinetry is a popular choice for homeowners looking for a healthy option. Solid wood is a natural material that is free of toxins and chemicals, making it an excellent choice for those with allergies or sensitivities.
- Plywood: Plywood is another healthy option for cabinetry. Made from thin layers of wood glued together, plywood is free of formaldehyde and other harmful chemicals.
- MDF: Medium-density fiberboard (MDF) is a popular alternative to solid wood cabinetry. Made from compressed wood fibers and resin, MDF is free of harmful chemicals and toxins.
- Bamboo: Bamboo is a sustainable and healthy option for cabinetry. It’s a fast-growing grass that can be harvested every three to five years, making it a highly renewable resource. Bamboo is also free of formaldehyde and other harmful chemicals.
- Metal: Metal cabinetry is a durable and healthy option. Stainless steel is a popular choice for homeowners looking for a sleek and modern look.
Benefits of Healthy Cabinetry
Choosing healthy cabinetry has several benefits, including:
- Better Indoor Air Quality: Healthy cabinetry options are free of harmful chemicals and toxins, which can improve indoor air quality and reduce the risk of respiratory issues.
- Improved Health: Exposure to harmful chemicals and toxins can lead to a host of health issues, including headaches, dizziness, and fatigue. Choosing healthy cabinetry can improve your overall health and well-being.
- Sustainability: Choosing sustainable cabinetry options, like bamboo, can help reduce your carbon footprint and support eco-friendly practices.
- Durability: Healthy cabinetry options are often more durable and long-lasting than traditional options, reducing the need for frequent replacements and repairs.
Read also: Cook Healthy With Air Fryer Pressure
Transforming your kitchen with healthy cabinetry is a smart and sustainable choice that can improve your overall health and well-being. By choosing healthy options like solid wood, plywood, MDF, bamboo, or metal, homeowners can enjoy better indoor air quality, improved health, and sustainability.
Kitchen and lifestyle safety measures
It doesn’t really matter how perfect your meals are if these dishes make you sick, cause injury or accident while preparing them. A clean and safe kitchen is therefore of great importance. But how do you create such a safe working environment? If you don’t know where to start, these tips may help you create the safest kitchen possible.
Your Kitchen Flooring
Your kitchen flooring is important. You don’t want a slippery floor while working around your kitchen. While tiles are great for kitchen floors, make sure y0ur choice of tiles is non-slippery. Alternatively, you can choose heavy duty composite mats. Although these materials were intended for heavy duty equipment, it can be the perfect choice for your new kitchen as they are durable and non-slippery. A plus factor is that you can easily clean these types of flooring materials.
First step: start with a clean slate
- Make soapy water: The first rule in a safe kitchen is: wash your hands. Hands are a breeding ground for bacteria. Wash your hands with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds before cooking food and after handling meat, eggs, or poultry.
- Clean countertops and countertops: Wet, sticky countertops are easily filled with bacteria. If you spill something, clean the worktop immediately with a dish cloth and warm soapy water. Make sure you change dishcloths on time and wash them in the washing machine at 60°C after each use.
- Also think about that washing-up sponge in the sink: it’s a great place for bacteria – it can contain up to 360 different species at the same time. Fortunately, you can kill 99.9% of those bacteria by running the sponge in the microwave for a minute. Replace your old sponge with a new one regularly.
- Don’t forget the fridge either: the dirtiest area of your kitchen isn’t the stove or worktop. It’s just the vegetable drawer of the fridge. It is often dirtier than you think! A study has shown that there is salmonella in 36% of all vegetable drawers (and meat product drawers). Keep these bacteria away by cleaning your fridge with warm, soapy water at least once a month (or whenever you notice a leak).
Second step: preparing food safely
- Invest in two cutting board, if you can afford heavy duty composite mats board ,try it: one for fresh fruits and vegetables and the other for raw meat, chicken, fish and seafood to prevent the bacteria in the proteins from contaminating your fruits and vegetables.
- Rinse all fruits and vegetables in a colander so they don’t come in contact with the bacteria that may be hanging out in your sink. And what about chicken? Contrary to popular belief, never rinse raw chicken or poultry as this can easily spread salmonella on other surfaces such as kitchen utensils, countertops and cutting boards.
- Defrost food properly: Grandma might just thaw her meat openly on the counter, but that doesn’t mean you should do the same. Why not? Because bacteria multiply insanely fast in meat, chicken and fish that are thawed outside the refrigerator. It is therefore safer to thaw it in a covered dish on the lowest shelf in the refrigerator.
- Make sure your food is cooked: it’s tempting to judge by eye whether a piece of chicken breast or hamburger is done. But undercooked poultry or meat can contain a lot of bacteria. Try not to guess and make sure the meat has reached the correct temperature by always measuring it with a food thermometer first.
- Let leftovers cool quickly in the fridge. So don’t let them cool on the counter before you put them in the fridge, because you create a wonderful breeding ground for bacteria. Immediately after the meal, put leftovers in containers and put them in the refrigerator so that they can cool further (and more safely).
Third step: prevent accidents
- Mark out a safe work area: stoves and hobs account for 60% of all domestic fires that start in the kitchen. Keep children at a safe distance by marking a child-free zone approximately one meter from the cooker or hob.
- Unplug: Avoid accidentally turning on a blender, coffee maker or other kitchen appliance by always unplugging appliances when not in use.
- Avoid spilling: turn pots and pans handles backwards so they are not accidentally knocked over or knocked over. Always have some kitchen paper or a dishcloth close at hand so that you can clean up immediately if necessary.
- Also don’t forget your knives: with a dull knife you cut yourself rather than your food. Invest in a good knife sharpener and a knife block where you can safely store the knives.
- What you can’t live without: a brush and can to sweep up glass and pottery shards. And buy a sturdy stool. It’s safer to stand on a stool than on a chair (or the countertop) to get that pretty bowl off the top shelf of the kitchen cabinet.
- Be prepared: should an accident happen, make sure you have a fire extinguisher and a first aid kit close at hand to prevent worse.
Last and foremost, Enjoy your healthy diet and new lifestyle.
Among the most important home appliances you will need is a microwave. The very best over range microwave is a superb option. Even though some people may not fancy the distance that counter microwaves occupy others find them perfect for their requirements. If you’re one of the ones that are looking to acquire a microwave, then you’ll have a whole lot to relish.
To start with, you’ll have simplicity together with the appliance concerning area. These microwaves can fit on any surface whatsoever. It’s possible to place them on the dining table, counter or on a cooker. This means that even in the event that you’ve got limited space in your kitchen, then you are still able to have the delight of working with this kitchen fixture. Then there’s the clear reason for getting a microwave; conserving your time. You want to lower the time you spend in producing your meals and also a counter top microwave might help you do so.
Microwaves can be found in a huge selection of possible choices in relation to dimensions, designs and colour specs. Consequently, you need to be cautious about the microwave you decide on. To be of help, these are a few the vital tips. Normally smaller microwaves are going to have bigger wattage. It’s possible to find one which uses around 500 watts. Alternately, big ones use around 1200 wattage, so you, might need to sustain more power bills with a massive microwave. Then, you need to think of the total amount of income you’re ready to set aside for these expenses.
The functions which distinct microwaves come with disagree. Oftentimes, microwaves are going to have some indispensable attributes but others will get some progress. It’s possible to obtain a microwave which has a master detector and ceases after your food is ready. Others have push buttons rather than pull handles. Assuming, in the search for the finest over range microwaves to your kitchen, then you want to find out the purpose of the appliance. As an instance, if you’re going to use it for heating foods up and generating easy snacks, then it’s possible to opt for a microwave that has a little wattage.
Microwaves arrive in colours that vary from black to silver. Consequently, you need to select one which blends in with the remainder of the kitchen furniture.
If you consider the aforementioned, you may take home with one of an ideal microwave. Undeniably, over range microwaves are an innovation in the business. They’re a requirement for the majority of houses. By employing these appliances, you do not need to take more time heating and cooking food.